Before & After (14/52)

We have this chair… it’s big… it’s olive greenish… it’s in my “office”… it has become the cat chair–as you can see by the scratches on the right side (and left for that matter).

It was time to do something about it. So… after staring at tutorials online for about a month I finally worked up my courage, fired up the long neglected sewing maching, and did this…

…a slipcover! I did follow the tutorials and bought the ebook from Pink and Polka Dot. My family is wondering what alien life-form has invaded by body because the most strenuous sewing I’ve done in the last five years is to make pillows and sleeping bags for the American Girl dolls.

My 25-year-old sewing machine was pretty cranky too. I was (sometimes literally) holding my breath that she would make it through.

So with Tasha looking on we made it, although she did have to spend some time shut in the basement… she likes to play with thread. (And a few times midproject I wanted to shut myself in the basement.)

It’s a no-nonsense slipcover. There’s no piping, no ruffles, no zippers. I didn’t have enough material for ruffles, and I wasn’t going to invest all that time covering the piping in advance if the whole project was going to end up a fail. So that was my reasoning.

Tasha’s adjusting pretty well. The chair still seems good for naps and bath time. There are lots of mistakes but what can I say… I am an amateur.

And a sunny day helps everything look nicer.

Advertisement